More pages in this section
Good Shepherd Catholic College was established as Mount Isa Catholic High School in 1985 from buildings and resources of San Jose Secondary School for girls and St. Kieran’s Christian Brothers’ College for boys.
This took place as part of the rationalisation of parish facilities undertaken in 1984-85. San Jose had been operating since 1964 and St. Kieran’s since 1960, and in the process of amalgamation, many of the characteristics of both schools were retained and extended to build a new identity for Mount Isa Catholic High School. In 2004 the school commenced it's first senior class of Year 11 students who continued on to become the first Year 12 class to graduate in 2005.
A period of major refurbishment and transformation took place between 2003 and 2005, culminating with a change of name to Good Shepherd Catholic College (GSCC). The name change was perceived as inspirational, connected to our Parish and the title 'College' reflects a more senior status emerging from the inclusion of senior students.
GSCC is becoming an increasingly well-resourced Catholic College, which focuses on developing excellence and expertise amongst staff for the education of young men and women in the western region of the Townsville Diocese.
Benjamin house takes its name from a past Bishop of Townsville - Bishop Ray Benjamin. Bishop Benjamin was born on 24th February 1925 and attended school at St Joseph’s CBC Rockhampton. He attended Banyo Seminary from 1941-42 to complete his secondary schooling and studied for the priesthood from 1943-49. He was ordained a priest in July 1949 in Rockhampton.
After ordination he served as a priest in many parishes of the Rockhampton Diocese. He was consecrated bishop of Townsville on 9th May 1984.
Benjamin House Day is on February 24th.
Chisholm house takes its name from Caroline Chisholm who was born in England on 30th May 1808. At the age of 22 she married Archibald Chisholm and in 1832 the family moved to India and thence to Australia in January 1839.
In Sydney, Caroline was dismayed at the plight of women who had travelled alone from England to search for employment as servants and workers. Although the government had paid for their passages to Australia, no assistance was provided for these women on their arrival either for accommodation or for employment. They slept in the streets, caves or turned to prostitution. Caroline Chisholm began taking some of these women into her own home until she persuaded Governor Gipps to allow her to use a disused barracks as a home for them.
With the accommodation problem solved, she travelled throughout the settled areas of NSW to enable prospective employers to offer the women work. She was also active in improving the conditions for women on the ships bringing them to Australia.
In 1846 Caroline and her family returned to England and set up an information agency to enable people to find out more about conditions and life in Australia before deciding to emigrate. Following her return to Australia in 1854 she toured the gold fields suggesting various welfare projects, some of which were then implemented with government assistance. She also set up a girls’ school in Sydney. She returned to England in 1866 where she died in March 1877.
Chisholm House Day is on October 26th
The house is named after Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice. Born in Callan, Ireland, on 1st June 1762, Edmund worked for many years as a merchant in Waterford. After the death of his wife in 1789 and with a handicapped daughter to care for, he gave himself increasingly to prayer and works of charity. In 1802 he founded the religious Congregation of Christian Brothers, whose chief apostolic work is the evangelisation of youth, especially the poor.
He died on 29th August 1844. Edmund’s heroic virtue was recognised by the Church in 1993. A miracle attributed to his intercession was approved in 1995. He was beatified on October 6th 1996.
Rice House Day is on May 5th
MacKillop house takes its name from Blessed Mary MacKillop. Mary MacKillop was born on 15th January 1842, in Fitzroy, Victoria. Mary was the eldest of seven children, they were very poor, and often had no home of their own. From the age of sixteen Mary earned her living and helped support her family, as a governess, a clerk, and as a teacher. In 1866 Mary opened the first St Joseph’s school in a disused stable in Penola, South Australia. Young women came to join Mary, and so the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph was begun.
In 1867 Mary was asked to go to Adelaide to start a school, and from there the sisters spread around Australia to New Zealand, and they are now also in Peru, Brazil and refugee camps in Uganda and Thailand.
Through her work in schools, Mary met with opposition, but even in the most difficult of times she refused to attack those who wrongly accused her and undermined her work, instead she continued in the way she believed God was calling her and was always ready to forgive those who wronged her. She died at the Mother House in North Sydney on 8th August 1909, and there in the chapel her body rests. Mary will be Australia’s first Saint.
MacKillop House Day is on August 8th
Each component of the College crest holds significant meaning:
- The equilateral triangle represents the three equal partners in education - students, parents and teachers.
- the Southern Cross represents knowledge of the universe, our world and its people, to which education aims to provide the key.
- The Chi-Rho represents Christ, the binding force and focal point of our school community.
- our school motto, "Christ Our Light", recognises the central point of Christianity - that Christ shows us the way to truth and a full life.
In short, our crest sums up our school philosophy that education is a cooperative effort of all three parties, to enable each person to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to live a fulfilled Christian life.
Address 124 Camooweal Street, Mount Isa QLD 4825
Phone (07) 4743 2509
Office Hours 8.00am - 3.30pm
The Good Shepherd Catholic College community acknowledges the Kalkadoon People, The Traditional owners of the land on which our college sits. We also acknowledge and pay respect to all Aboriginal and Torres strait islander elders, past, present and emerging.