The first year of high school is a very exciting and can sometimes be a daunting experience.
The Year 7 Pastoral Care Program aims to assist students in their transition to Good Shepherd by providing students with the skills and support they need to succeed. The Program provides many opportunities for students to engage in activities to build relationships with one another, to create a cohesive Year 7 group, as well as giving students support across all areas of College life.
In Year 7, students are timetabled one Pastoral Care lesson per week where the focus is on a range of activities to assist students in their transition into high school. These activities include:
- Team building and 'getting to know you' activities
- Building resiliency and how to cope with stress
- Making friends and how to deal with issues that may arise
- ICT induction and how to use their Chromebooks
- The GSCC Assessment policy
- Time management skills
- Organisational skills
As well as specific weekly lessons, there are also organised events for students to be involved in with senior students and teachers. These activities include:
- First week of school transition program
- Year 7 Retreat Days 1 and 2 (Term 1) - team builiding and personal challenges at Lake Moondarra
- Year 7 Retreat Day 3 (Term 2) - reflection on semester one and positive relationships.
The Pastoral Care Program is a valuable addition to the curriculum and aims to provide students with the skills they need for a successful transition to Good Shepherd Catholic College.