Good Shepherd Catholic College,
Mount Isa
phone(07) 4743 2509

College History

Good Shepherd Catholic College was established as Mount Isa Catholic High School in 1985 from buildings and resources of San Jose Secondary School for girls and St. Kieran’s Christian Brothers’ College for boys.

This took place as part of the rationalisation of parish facilities undertaken in 1984-85. San Jose had been operating since 1964 and St. Kieran’s since 1960, and in the process of amalgamation, many of the characteristics of both schools were retained and extended to build a new identity for M.I.C.H.S. In 2004 Year 11 was commenced following with Year 12 in 2005.

Mount Isa Catholic High School was renamed Good Shepherd Catholic College on the 20th May 2005.

In 2012, the College initiated stage one of the redevelopment with the construction and refurbishment of the Lumen Christi Centre, comprising the multi-purpose court, new classroom and gymnasium, male and female showers and toilets and the new canteen. Stage one also saw the construction of the new Library precinct, which houses three general learning classrooms, library and resource centre and the College’s sacred space.

Stage two of the redevelopment and expansion will begin in 2013.

The school has four significant people who are looked to as ideal models. The house system takes them as names.


BENJAMIN HOUSE

Benjamin house takes its name from a past Bishop of Townsville - Bishop Ray Benjamin. Bishop Benjamin was born on 24th February 1925 and attended school at St Joseph’s CBC Rockhampton. He attended Banyo Seminary from 1941-42 to complete his secondary schooling and studied for the priesthood from 1943-49. He was ordained a priest in July 1949 in Rockhampton.

After ordination he served as a priest in many parishes of the Rockhampton Diocese. He was consecrated bishop of Townsville on 9th May 1984.

Benjamin House Day is on February 24th.


CHISHOLM HOUSE

Chisholm house takes its name from Caroline Chisholm who was born in England on 30th May 1808. At the age of 22 she married Archibald Chisholm and in 1832 the family moved to India and thence to Australia in January 1839.

In Sydney, Caroline was dismayed at the plight of women who had travelled alone from England to search for employment as servants and workers. Although the government had paid for their passages to Australia, no assistance was provided for these women on their arrival either for accommodation or for employment. They slept in the streets, caves or turned to prostitution. Caroline Chisholm began taking some of these women into her own home until she persuaded Governor Gipps to allow her to use a disused barracks as a home for them.

With the accommodation problem solved, she travelled throughout the settled areas of NSW to enable prospective employers to offer the women work. She was also active in improving the conditions for women on the ships bringing them to Australia.

In 1846 Caroline and her family returned to England and set up an information agency to enable people to find out more about conditions and life in Australia before deciding to emigrate. Following her return to Australia in 1854 she toured the gold fields suggesting various welfare projects, some of which were then implemented with government assistance. She also set up a girls’ school in Sydney. She returned to England in 1866 where she died in March 1877.

Chisholm House Day is on October 26th


RICE HOUSE

The house is named after Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice. Born in Callan, Ireland, on 1st June 1762, Edmund worked for many years as a merchant in Waterford. After the death of his wife in 1789 and with a handicapped daughter to care for, he gave himself increasingly to prayer and works of charity. In 1802 he founded the religious Congregation of Christian Brothers, whose chief apostolic work is the evangelisation of youth, especially the poor.

He died on 29th August 1844. Edmund’s heroic virtue was recognised by the Church in 1993. A miracle attributed to his intercession was approved in 1995. He was beatified on October 6th 1996.

Rice House Day is on May 5th


MACKILLOP HOUSE

MacKillop house takes its name from Blessed Mary MacKillop. Mary MacKillop was born on 15th January 1842, in Fitzroy, Victoria. Mary was the eldest of seven children, they were very poor, and often had no home of their own. From the age of sixteen Mary earned her living and helped support her family, as a governess, a clerk, and as a teacher. In 1866 Mary opened the first St Joseph’s school in a disused stable in Penola, South Australia. Young women came to join Mary, and so the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph was begun.

In 1867 Mary was asked to go to Adelaide to start a school, and from there the sisters spread around Australia to New Zealand, and they are now also in Peru, Brazil and refugee camps in Uganda and Thailand.

Through her work in schools, Mary met with opposition, but even in the most difficult of times she refused to attack those who wrongly accused her and undermined her work, instead she continued in the way she believed God was calling her and was always ready to forgive those who wronged her. She died at the Mother House in North Sydney on 8th August 1909, and there in the chapel her body rests. Mary will be Australia’s first Saint.

MacKillop House Day is on August 8th

Address Cnr Mary & Camooweal St,
Mount Isa QLD
Phone (07) 4743 2509
Office Hours 8.00am - 3.30pm

21

Sep

We are in Week 1, School Holidays
School Returns Monday 4th October 2016